Tuesday 1 November 2016

Decision Day - Getting a CI - by Eleanor


I realised yesterday that I hadn't kept up to date with the appointments. As you know, I have been to the assessments and was just waiting to find out if the team to decide if I was eligible to have one...

 On Tuesday last week I had an appointment to meet 'a member of the ENT team'. The end result is that they would like to offer me a Cochlear Implant. It was odd hearing those words, with the idea of actually having an operation seems unrealistic, as if it wouldn't happen to me. "You're on the waiting list now, it'll be up to 4 months" the consultant said, "It'll probably be me or my colleague operating so you might see me again". With that, I left the room armed with a consent form and a letter requesting me to get a pneumococcal meningitis injection for protection. I'd also been given another appointment entitled 'device information' for the following week.

 The 'device information' session was with a lovely rehabilitationist who is actually leaving soon so I probably won't meet her again. Nonetheless she was lovely and walked me through the possibility of colours and battery packs. I decided to go with the sandy beige because it actually goes with my hair quite nicely and I thought if I ever do want to stand out I can always pimp it up myself. With regards to battery packs, I could choose different sizes depending on how long you want it to last as they can be charged up via electricity as apposed to disposable batteries. The CI requires a lot of power which means generally either option doesn't last terribly long. They were only able to order two different batteries so I went with a disposable pack and a chargeable one with shoes on. "You can buy your own if you want anymore" she said, "they're only around £70-£100 each"...

 Then, a few days ago I was emailed with some surgery dates! What a surreal moment, from being prepared for a 4 month wait which is actually only going to be around 3 weeks wait instead. It was like being struck in the chest and you can't breathe because you know something strange (and potentially painful!) is going to happen. But a few seconds later a smile spreads across my face and I know, I know I'm ready for this new chapter. It's been so difficult, especially lately to keep hanging out with people, even people I know and love because I'm so tired all the time. I find myself doing everyday things and wondering what it will sound like with a CI. I found myself on a beach listening to the waves crashing against the pebbles at the weekend and I wondered what it will sound like with my CI. So long have I been astonished and astounded by young children with CIs, secretly jealous of their ability not to have to lipread all the time.. it may not work so well for me, who knows but I'm excited to see.

 After the operation I have been advised not to wear my HA in my operated ear, leaving me with just one HA for 6 weeks before the switch on. It will be a quiet christmas for me, but the more I talk about my concerns, the more my family seem keen to use BSL, even just the odd few signs, which I completely and utterly adore and appreciate. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment