Sunday 16 June 2013

A Family Wedding: By Eleanor


 So, I was lucky enough to get invited to my beautiful cousin’s (and his bride!) wedding. Set in the middle of June, you’d be expecting lovely weather too. Well you’re not too far off, add a few showers which happened to time themselves when the photos were planned and you’d be right. Luckily the weather cleared up and we *touch wood* got some lovely photos.

 The wedding itself took place at Dragon’s Hall in Norwich, gorgeous building. Just enough place to hold everyone you love, or to quote Sam during his speech ‘It’s so rare these days to have everyone I care about in at one time’.

 Unfortunately, the building and the amount of people didn’t have great prospects for hearing. It is always daunting when I’m put into a room with lots of people I don’t know, and some I do. It’s even worse when the room is full of noise. Family conversations were impossible, and there were plenty of awkward silences as we realised breakdown of communication. I asked my mum if it were just me that struggled to hear, but she said that my uncle Neville had problems with his ears and Sam himself had an ear infection so I wasn’t the only one! She did also say it was difficult in there for, well, hearing people.

 The ceremony itself was exactly as I anticipated, simple and formal, just like Sam and Sophie (the bride) would like. Sophie’s dress was beautiful, not too over the top as I’ve often seen at weddings. It was clear that they love and care about each other very much which was sublime. I’ll admit I didn’t hear much of the two readings that different family members read out, but I’m sure they were just as pretty too. The vows were spoken and the pair were married at last!

 We then went back downstairs for the photos, which consisted of waiting around being offered delightful tasty offerings and champagne. My brother told me that there was a rainbow outside so I said ‘no’ and signed rainbow to him. I then started to sign ‘I can see a rainbow’ and asking what the next line was. This then resulted in my brother asking people, my nan asking people. Nan insisted that there was a line with colours in and asked me how I’d sign that. I explained I’d sign all the different colours and showed her a few, red, pink, blue etc. She seemed really excited about it all and encouraged my cousin Jack’s girlfriend Kristina to join in. Later, during the meal, Jack asked us if we wanted to read his lesson plan, which he had converted into his best man speech with his actual speech on the back of it. I started to read the back until my brother took it off me and told me to wait. I said I probably wouldn’t hear it anyway so I’d like to read it. My mum suggested Jack could sign it to me, but I am the only family member who actually knows any sign. Kristina piped in and signed pink and blue as I had shown her earlier. Everyone looked impressed. It was a sweet gesture, but sometimes it really disheartens me that no-one in my family know sign. It would really benefit me, I know I’m not fluent but even to just have Sign Supported English (SSE) or clear lip patterns would ensure I’m always included.

After the amazing buffet styled meal and the oh-so-good desert it was time to move onto the speeches. Unfortuntely I couldn’t really tell you what they were about. The first one, was done by Sophie’s dad (he seemed a lovely bloke). I only got bits and pieces, something about Sophie going to Africa and then something about Sam. It seemed very warming and everyone seemed to like it. The second speech was by Sam, which was lovely, I understood most of it. It was about meeting Sophie and thanking his family and then everyone else that had come to the big day. Then it was the turn of the best men (both his brothers). Jack did a lovely speech about how Sam was his best friend and the things they did growing up. He wished love and happiness for the young couple. Then it was Leon who I didn’t really understand. I asked if I could read the draft speech paper that he’d been reading off. When I read it, it was beautiful, a clear big brother role with embarrassing stories, including a brown log shaped toy that appeared in one of the baths they used to share.

After the speech I was lucky enough to have my boyfriend join me for the evening party when the band came on and the free bar got flowing. I find it strange when bands play, I don’t quite know what to do with myself. I can never seem to really dance unless I’m holding someone’s hand, and usually with rather a lot of alcohol in my system. To me, it just sounds like noise. I can’t hear the words, or the different instruments and I have no idea how to move my body to appropriate sounds. Everyone else on the other hand let themselves lose and had a good boogie! As my boyfriend says ‘I like a good dance, it’s good for the soul!’ It was lovely to see everyone dancing and enjoying themselves. Often, I find it more fun to watch than actually attempt to dance myself!

 During the night, I found moments where I realised I’d lost that connection I’d had with my cousins years ago. Back in the days when I’d stay over at my nans with my cousin and we’d giggle about sharing a big double bed together and planned menus to draw up for when the whole family came round. It made me think of times the whole family would be together and we’d play Trivia Pursuit or card games. I vaguely remember bingo making an appearance too. I know that life consists of paths and the further we follow a path, the harder it is to come back and remember those that helped you get there. It’s difficult to find the time to keep friendships going, and being aware of your common interests to help those conversations flowing.

 On the bright side, I was really happy that I managed to talk to my uncle Neville during the night. We talked about lots of different things including photography, sign language (where he proceeded to sign the whole alphabet) and he said he’d read my blog which was really sweet. He could understand where I was coming from with listening to bands, and it was just really nice to still have that connection with that side of my family. Thank you Neville, you really made my nightJ.
 I also got to play life sized Jenga against my brother, I lost the first game but it was totally worth it as he happened to be standing where it was falling. I don’t know if he was more worried about himself or his drink in his hand! And, to make it better, I won the second game.

 Thank you Sam and Sophie for inviting me to be a part of your big day, after all that waiting and preparation it finally arrived and it was sublime. I send you lots of love and good health wishes on your newly married life together. Perhaps it won’t be too long before I get some more cousins!

 Also, on a side-note, just incase my brother reads this; it was a lovely ‘joint’ 21st bash for you. My little bruv is growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment