Saturday 7 September 2013

LoveFilm vs Netflix (the subtitled problem)


 So, I joined Lovefilm around 2 years ago when I won a McDonalds Monopoly sticker 'one month's free trial and two free cinema tickets when you sign up with lovefilm'. Who am I to say no to that?

 For the last two years I've paid £4.89 a month for two discs (one at a time). It has no roll-over so if you're late sending one back thats it, next month starts. For £5.99 you can have unlimited access to Lovefilm streaming and for at least £7.99 you can have both unlimited access and a disc.
 Not all of lovefilm films are available on streaming, and more importantly THERE ARE NO SUBTITLES WHATSOEVER available on streaming. I have flagged this up and there are NO FUTURE PLANS for subtitles either!

 I started looking into Netflix a few months ago when I've had so many people commenting on how good it is. It's amazing. There is so much choice available, you can watch it right there and then for a flat-price of £5.99 - how awesome is that?! The best bit is that all the films I've tried to watch so far HAVE SUBTITLES!

 Ok, so it sounds like I've already made my mind up about the best of the bunch. But, its not that simple. Ok, so netflix is all amazing, so much choice, so much SUBTITLED choice... but its not so updated as lovefilm. Put it this way, Hunger Games only started appearing on netflix a week or so ago when its been out since 3rd September 2012 - I should know as I was lucky enough to get it from lovefilm a few weeks after release (I'd waited and waited to see it subtitled at a cinema but sadly couldn't work the times around work and travel) which was completely and utterly amazeballs.

 So, the choice is, to have unlimited choice that won't be quite so recent at a really good price (netflix), or, pay the same to have just 3 discs a month from lovefilm but with more chance of them being more recent releases.

 I have decided to go with netflix for now and hope that subtitled screenings at cinemas will become more accessible (this is yet another story, we are STILL waiting on Majestic Cinema in Kings Lynn to open their doors for the deaf) to fufill my needs and I can be the first of my friends to talk about that awesome new release (looking forward to the next Hobbit film and Hunger Games people!!) whilst enjoying some of the older and vast collection of films that netflix has to offer. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I also used Netflix and unfortunately it's not 100% subtitles available. But are you aware about a deaf-led company called Films14? Which can be found at www.films14.com and plan to be release www.films14.com/media.html soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? All the films I've tried to watch so far have been subtitled. Although my friend mentioned a TV series that wasn't. Still, better than what lovefilm has to offer! Tha'ts interesting news, thanks for that will look into it :)

    ReplyDelete