Saturday 23 February 2013

TED Talks - Imogene

Hi guys, sorry it's been a while since I've posted, been really busy, but I've come back with something worth your while - I hope!

So I saw my step-dad the other day and as soon as he saw me he went "ooh, I have this awesome video and channel for you to have a look at; it's very long winded, but I think you'll enjoy it!". He got his amazing Samsung Galaxy S3 and showed me a really fascinating video!
I'm one of them people that find the little things really interesting, and I was hugely curious to watch the video - It was on YouTube which was fair enough and it wasn't what I was expecting, but I liked that it was something I am personally interested in, which is Education. And this video is basically one guys perception on the state schools curriculum and why he finds Art a really important subject. It has some fantastic examples and  many humorous moments and now that I've discovered the channel I want to watch many more videos and see what else is out there! (It's definitely going to reappear on this blog from me!)

The channel is called 'TED Talks' - (I actually said to my dad 'ooh, is it the bear TED from the movie TED', safe to say I got a 'don't be so silly Immy' look!). I'm actually going to describe it how my dad did, as he has a great way of putting words together, and he has been much help in the past due to that little talent!
"It's a channel on YoutTube where lots of people post lots of video's - at complete random and can be about anything! There is many boring ones, but many fascinating ones where your mind is like 'WOW'" - Yes it probably doesn't sound so impressive like that, but it sounded better, i'll see if I could get a recording? (haha!)
So, I found the video again once my dad showed me it and you should definitely watch it, it is viewed as quite heavy.. It is nearly 20 minutes long (so I recommend you can watch it contently) but it is really interesting to hear someones view on the subject, watch the video here.

I think I found it personally interesting as I find that his opinion is very similar to mine, as I agree that it's terrible that schools are cutting down on the Arts in the curriculum - especially as it's a way of getting children to express themselves, and to be honest 'talk' thought their work. I as a deaf person, who enjoy doing creative stuff, find that it's sad they're cutting it down as I think it was one of the things that really got me grow as a child. I wasn't much of a conversation child until I caught up on the vocabulary. (I only got hearing aids at the age of 7, but i'll explain this more later) So really I think they should definitely keep it as it helps a lot of children develop, as it most definitely did for me.

So, what do you think? Enjoy the video? Agree with his opinion? Or not? Did Art help you in any way when you were at school? Have any stories on the subject? Or.. have you discovered TED talks before me and have interesting videos? I love to hear everyone's thoughts! I hope you're well and have enjoyed reading. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment