Sunday 3 March 2013

El review: The Vow


 The Vow
Year: 2012
Runtime: 104 mins
Director: Michael Sucsy
Starring: Rachel McAdams, Channing Tatum, Jessica Lange.
Genre: Drama, Romance

 Looking around on LoveFilm for a DVD, this one jumped out at me because it starred Rachel McAdams, one of my favourite actresses. I absolutely adored her in Sherlock Holmes as the love interest, The Time Travellers wife and also The Notebook. I believe McAdams has an ability to relate to the characters she plays, but also her beautiful natural appearance enables her to pull off the ‘sweet girl next door’ look that most guys fall for and girls love to hate.

When looking around on Wiki, I read that she actually dated Ryan Gosling for 2 years (after The Notebook was filmed) even though during filming they didn’t get on ‘in any way’. At one point Gosling asked the director to “bring somebody else in for my off-camera shot” because he felt McAdams was being uncooperative. Perhaps an early sign of the chemistry between them!

Anyway, enough about my obsession with McAdams. The Vow is inspired by a true story, and sees (Channing Tatum) Leo, a husband who is devastated when his new bride (Rachel McAdams) who is involved in a car accident, lose 5 years of her memory. Inconveniently the couple met about 4 years ago which puts a giant stopper on that marriage!
 From the very beginning of this film, it’s clear it’s going to be a cheesy version of a horrible, horrible situation. For me, probably only two moments at the most were emotionally distressing, when Leo finally lashes out (if it were me, I’d be constantly lashing out, so respect to the guy!).

For me I enjoyed the film massively because I love seeing McAdams acting. I do like the odd cheesy film, and certain moments made me cringe with the ‘cute relationship stuff’. For example when Leo is taking Paige out for a ‘1st date’, Rachel said that she had to be back by 10 in the morning. Leo grinned and said that he ‘felt a little scandalised’ resulting in an awkward moment of ‘I-want-her-to-stay-but-now-I’ve-said-something-dumb-need-to-look-a-little-less-clingy-and-a-bit-more-cool’.

The film was a little lacking in the plot and because it was all from the guys eyes, it felt a little bare. For me, I’d find it more interesting from the girl’s side because how do you cope with a giant hole in your life? I understood the pain and frustration from the guy’s eyes but, think a bit more of a mix would have only been a good thing. However I’m sure I wasn’t the only one that smirked a little when Leo finally hit Jeremy. J

Of course, with most cheesy romantic love stories, it does work out in the end (although how Leo stayed single for 6/7 months is beyond me, did you SEE that body??).

I think I will mark this film 4/5 stars because it was just what I wanted, a cheesy rom com but felt the storyline could have done with a little more oomph and perspective on brain trauma and memory loss, enabling me to feel like I’ve also learnt something in the 104 minutes.
****

No comments:

Post a Comment