Monday 15 June 2015

Is Deafness a Disability? by Imogene

I recently read a comment on a Facebook Deafness page that I follow. People write on there very often sharing tips or asking questions related to a Deaf matter. I follow it because Els sent me a request once to read an article and I've yet to delete it.. not that I have a reason to.

I often find reading other peoples thoughts and feelings on being Deaf really interesting, it seems so many people find so many different degrees of Deafness and love sharing what it means to them. I love this, regardless of saying that I didn't like admitting I was "Deaf" but despite it, I like to know how people view themselves - I have such respect to all them that are very open and honest about their situation. It takes guts to show what can be a weakness to others (and yourself) and see it in the best possible light, it's wonderful and there's definitely something we can all learn from it.

The other day something stood out to me. It was a young girl just throwing a question out for debate and of course many had a opinion to throw in. I watched for a while seeing how this conversation was going to play out and it was really lovely to read so many genuine answers.
The question being:

I have a question, i'd like to think what you think about this question.
Definition of disabled - a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.
So do you (deaf people) class yourself as disabled? ...
& Why do you think the answer?

No nasty comments please thank you!

by Chloe'Lian Fisher

It didn't really take me a second to answer - No.
But then I did start to think about it and I began to think "Well, no I don't consider it a Disability.. but it is, it does make my life awkward occasionally and it does have an effect on me at times,;but then is it my own stubbornness as to not being wanted to be seen as Disabled?" There again, I usually think people that are immobile and impacted in a much bigger way as disabled - but that's just having a view isn't it? That statement is very 'imagine what a disabled person would look like' to a child and they automatically draw a wheelchair or would they? Who even knows, I would be very interested in what Freddie would draw or say if I asked him that question.

Again, I may be wrong in saying this, I do consider people who are eligible for DLA (Disability Living Allowance) as Disabled personally.. I'm not eligible so it does make me wonder if being Deaf is really a Disability, because whilst many work and can live a normal life, it's just something that's there and a nuisance from time to time, for some more than others. But no, I don't find I'm disabled, maybe impaired in situations.

What are your thoughts?
Please do leave them in the comments below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment