Monday 8 April 2013

Deaf Day, London 2013: Eleanor


 So on Saturday I went to the Deaf Day exhibition in London at the Cit Lit building. It was my first time visiting so I was unsure what to expect. Luckily I had lots of company, some people from my BSL course and one of my close friends.

 When I arrived, it was crazy. There were lots of people, everywhere and I mean everywhere! It was amazing to see so many people together and signing quite comfortably, not a sight I'm too familiar with! The exhibition was spread out over 5 floors, but this didn't make it any easier. The lift was constantly busy so the stairs was our constant saviour. The corridors full, the rooms full, each of the information stands surrounded by people.

 There was lots of information available, for example some of the stands talked about new equipment for deaf people, deaf books, courses and benefits etc. One of the stands had courses for lip-reading, which was aimed more at deafened people rather than a course to become a lip-speaker (slightly disappointing) and the lady pretty much said it wouldn't be any use as I was already AWESOME at lip-reading. OK, maybe she didn't say AWESOME, but she implied it... :)

 At 12:00 we saw the 'Deaf men dancing' which was beautiful. It was a group of 4 deaf men with a short performance. It wasn't quite what I was expecting (probably a good thing, I had an image of old men doing morris dancing) and some of the men were clearly professionals at it. I did think there would be a bit more BSL incorporated into it, a clear link between music and deafness. It was beautifully done though. One of the men looked rather like Derren Brown just with crazy curly hair (cute!).
  At the end of their performance they said they were doing a workshop in the summer and were on the lookout for some more deaf men to join their dancing group. They also said about starting one for ladies too. So, if anyone knows anyone that's interested, look it up on Twitter or Facebook 'Deaf Men Dancing'.

 In the afternoon I went to one of the workshops 'Fighting fear of communication with UbiDuo'. Basically its a machine that translates what you are saying into words. The lady presenting it, her words came up on a projector behind her, real-time subtitles basically! It was slightly weird, at first the things she was saying didn't ring true. For example she was talking about how 'we all know that deaf person, who's been working the same job, week after week, year after year and still hasn't been promoted'. She also talked about how in workforces 'deaf people are put to one side of the room and hearing are put on the other' and how this machine would 'integrate everyone together'. It seemed a rather strong selling point to a machine that actually can't be leased out to individuals but through schemes such as universities and Access to Work. It was all very well presented though because the machine was constantly working throughout. It did become a bit awkward at one point, when the lady was saying how an interpreter couldn't be available for all the hours you need, but this machine could, only for a deaf gentleman to pipe up that he always had an interpreter available whenever he needed 24/7.
 It was amazing to see it at work, and they mentioned that the transcript could also be seen on I-pads rather than projections and could be saved so students and lecturers could refer to it afterwards. It showed a real starting point for the future and hopefully many more ideas will stem from it.

 It was a lovely day, even if it was a bit busy and especially even if we had to get up at 6am!

 On the way home we stopped at the services (3 hour coach journey, toilet breaks are needed) and my friend and I decided to get some tea at KFC. Ordering food is always awkward for me but this time it was more difficult than usual. Here's how the conversation went:

 SERVER: What would you like?
 MY FRIEND: Boneless banquet please
 SERVER: What sides would you like?
 MY FRIEND: erm... *blank face because she's not heard*
 SERVER: What sides would you like?
 ME: *realising he's talking about sides* Do you want beans, coleslaw?
 MY FRIEND: Ah beans
 SERVER: Would you like any extras?
 MY FRIEND: *blank face*
 ME: Do you want anything more?
 MY FRIEND: Ah no thanks

 Order is placed and then server looks to me

 ME: BBQ rancher meal please
 SERVER: *is distracted or deliberately ignoring me*
 ME: Hello?
 SERVER: Sorry I wasn't listening
 ME: BBQ rancher meal please
 SERVER: "£$£$^()"£(£%$)(
 ME: What?
 SERVER: £$%)("£$()"£(£(£
 ME: Sorry I'm deaf I can't really hear you, I think its your accent
 SERVER: Oh come on, really?
 ME: Yes, sorry, me and my friend are deaf we can't hear you
 SERVER: But you understood me a minute ago
 ME: I know but we are deaf
 SERVER: OK £)"£$()"
 ME: .... No that's it thanks?
 SERVER: *face like that's the wrong answer*
 ME: Sorry what?
 SERVER: *Turns the till to me so I can see the price*

 I hand over the money and it is very awkward. Server comes with our food when it is ready and doesn't even look at us. My friend and I feel very uncomfortable because the whole conversation went over our heads, we both struggled to understand this man and he didn't really attempt to help even when we explained we are deaf. I became very embarrassed (with rosy red cheeks to prove it).

 The whole incident made us feel pretty worthless. We had become quite confident during the day, probably due to having BSL as extra support but when hit with the reality of the real world once again it was a painful thump back to earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment