Thursday 18 April 2013

"Magic Hands": Cbeebies - by Imogene


Yesterday I was watching some Cbeebies with my son. I watched his favourite programme with him and up pop a sequel video of a new programme that’s coming soon to the channel called “Magic Hands” – I was so fascinated by this trailer as it appeared to be done by Deaf people as their wasn’t much sound and I noticed there was BSL! I thought this was great as I already praise Mr Tumble (another Sign-Language programme) and Freddie has started signing “Hello” and “Spotty Bag” from that so was interested to know more about this new programme! I went onto the internet and typed it in and found the Cbeebies Grown-Up page and I have to say it seems really good!

“Magic Hands is a show featuring poetry for children translated entirely into British Sign Language (BSL).
Featuring poems from Robert Louis Stephenson to Roger Stevens and Michaela Morgan the programmes are fun, five-minute packages that mix sign language, the spoken word, music and animation to bring the poems to life and capture the imaginations of both deaf and hearing children.
The production is breaking new ground; it’s the first time poetry has ever been translated into British Sign Language and the first production with an entirely deaf cast using British Sign Language.

The Magic Hands presenters are all new to children’s television and are all profoundly deaf. On set they worked with professional interpreters along with the series’ artistic director, Jean St Clair, and both deaf and hearing production crew.”


I wonder why there is a new BSL programme. Is it because there are more children that are deaf? Or is it because Mr Tumble’s been so successful that they find more children are learning more from it? I’m just glad there’s more deaf awareness coming in for the younger generation. And of course BSL isn’t just used by Deaf people but by children who have communication problems, who have now found a way to speak!
I tried uploading the trailer video, but I can't find it, but this is the only thing related on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrrjB0GPR0

I am very excited to watch this, and mostly see how my son interacts with it! (I shall report after our verdict!)

*The writing in red is from the Cbeebies Grown-Ups page - No Copyright Intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment