Monday 1 April 2013

Identity Thief Review: Eleanor


Identity Thief

 Director: Seth Gordon
Running Time: 111 minutes
Cast: Melissa McCathy, Jason Bateman

 
So they say that honesty is the best policy. I didn’t actually want to go and see Identity Thief. I really wanted to see The Host which came out on the 29th March, however the subtitles website told me there were no subtitled screenings of it this week nearby. The Majestic Cinema in King’s Lynn hasn’t shown any signs of subtitled films (STILL!) so I looked at the Norwich cinemas.

The only film that even sounded remotely interesting was this one, which even after watching the trailer didn’t give me ‘I-must-see-this-NOW’ feeling. It gave the impression that pretty much all the good bits were in the trailers and that I wouldn’t actually miss out on much if I missed the film.

However, with it being the Easter Holidays and finally having some time available to do whatever I want (with the hope of seeing some decent subtitled films) I was determined to make the 1 hour and 15 minute trip over to Norwich.

To summarise the film; Sandy Patterson (Jason Bateman) is a family, mild-mannered man with a rubbish paid job. He finally gets offered a much better paid job but unfortunately is the victim of identity theft, damaging his wallet, his criminal record and credit rating. His identity has been stolen by Diana (Melissa McCathy). The police being pretty much useless, Sandy decides the best way to prove his innocence and identity is to get Diana himself and bring her back to be arrested. This isn’t as simple as he expects and lots of adventures and mishaps occur.

OK, where to start… Yes the film had lots of funny one-liners/moments in it but they were all produced by Jason Bateman and Melissa McCathy who had amazing on-screen presence. I remember Melissa from Gilmore Girls (which I used to be obessed with) and always found courage and strength from her confidence. She is quirky and fun, unashamed to be ashamed with the ability to be serious too. This film however, was a bit thin with the plot-line, constant darting around and scene fillers. For instance;

1.    There was a scene where Sandy and Diana had to sleep in a wood which was apparently a short-cut. Sandy gets a snake wrapped round his neck and Diana has to beat the snake off with fire. It was unnecessarily violent and quite traumatic when the film already felt quite long and unending.

2.    There were 3 people after Diana for various reasons. 1 was a bounty hunter and 2 were people working for someone in jail who wanted her (which I don’t remember being explained). None of these hunters got anywhere near her, and eventually got themselves caught up in a weird police investigation and arrested, never to be heard of again.

Regardless of the thin plot, I found Bateman and McCathy enjoyable and thought their acting brought the film to life. Next time, however, I will simply wait for a film I actually want to see rather than hoping for the best and driving that hour and 15 minutes journey.

I will give this film 2 out of 5 stars simply because of the amazing cast.

**

No comments:

Post a Comment