Friday 4 January 2013

Immy's Review: The Change-Up


 The Change-Up

Directed: David Dobkin
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Jason Bateman, Olivia Wilde, Leslie Mann
Genre: Romantic Comedy

Stars: 4/5


I started watching this film with a notepad, as I read that it was good to take notes during the movie. I found it slightly distracting as I couldn’t watch as intensely as I wanted (well, at Ryan Reynolds anyway... (Yes, a major crush!)) However, I found that after, it helped immeasurably, especially after all the hilarious moments I watched; I didn’t remember them as strongly as I had hoped afterwards.
I was given the chance to watch the theatrical version, or the Extended, Unrated version – I was guessing this had all the rude bits that weren’t in the cinema! So, I chose the extended version, simply as I wanted to watch everything that was being offered to me.

 I have been finding myself reading the online reviews before writing up my version of events. I want to be able to see how much I agree and disagree with others views – and for this film, I strongly disagree in some cases, yet agree in others. I shall let you all know which points they were. Also I always watch the Trailer before watching a film, as I sometimes find that the major interesting and funny moments that are portrayed in the trailer, can be the only 'funny' scenes which subsequently lets the film moral go down.
I have to say I loved the trailer and couldn't wait to watch it! (I am a sucker for any film that has a gorgeous man in and a belly full of chuckles on the way.)

I watched this film in the comfort of my own home, so it was all very relaxed – but sadly you don’t get the cinema effect. (hmph.) I put the subtitles on and let the film start rolling.
 The Change-Up was an easy film to follow, as are most romantic comedies, but I found it really worth the time to sit down and watch properly. It was simple to relate to in the fact that, it’s a real life plot, and it has real meaning under all the ridiculous laughs. We all have had moments where we have wished for someone else’s life because it seemed that life was better, but it’s due to not appreciating what you've got.

Dave is a father of a daughter and twins, married 18 years, has a successful job; but he yearns for a carefree life, like his best friend Mitch – who secretly wishes he could have the stability and security that Dave has in life.
It was something we can connect and identify with, so in that context it did make you think, but with all the hilarious moments, you do get lost in it and focus on the silly things that happen – because lets face it, what happens, wouldn’t really happen!
It’s a predictable storyline, and yes the plot is hardly the deepest one, but it’s a feel good and enjoyable film if you need some cheering up or something easy to chill down to. I do have to say I did agree with the critics that it was ‘the usual that you expect from a Rom-Com’. It basically wasn’t anything we haven’t all probably seen before. The familiar routine of this genre of film is that they all realise what they had before and wish they could get back to what they originally thought they didn’t want – but home’s safe in the end, for everyone.

I suppose really it’s quite difficult to do a review on a comedy as everyone’s taste is different, but I enjoyed it and had a good laugh at the silly events like when the baby did a poo in Dave’s face, simply because any parent will relate to how hard it can be to balance changing a child. Also, where ‘Dave’ realised how Mitch makes his money, by doing a ‘Lorno’ for a day a year – and being told to do various things to a lady, well, it had its humorous qualities, to say the least. So in another way after reading some reviews it did its purpose of being funny with some eye-candy thrown in, so that's okay, yes(?) I'll leave it for you to answer that question.
The film was given 4/5 stars simply because it was lacking that originality that you want from a film; we all want to see something different and have that feeling of ‘Wow, that was amazing, I have never seen nothing like that before.’ I didn't get it here, I’m afraid, but I highly recommend it if you’re up for hanging out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment