Friday 4 January 2013

428 words about me, Immy.


Hi, my name is Imogene, but people call me by various other names. I have a severe hearing loss, so am completely reliant on hearing aids, I don’t mind it so much as I've had it since a young age, and learnt the word patterns and have become a fluent lip-reader.
I really enjoy the experience of going to the cinema, I like the loud noises and the ‘around the whole room’ part – but I don’t like going to a non subtitled film. Don’t get me wrong, I've been to loads of films and have got parts of it – but I never come away truly satisfied, and to be honest feel stupid asking what happened after. I think people get the impression you’re not all together there and think you may be dumb, but that’s not the case – it’s usually the voicing of the characters wasn't clear enough or that they were looking away at the important moments that binds the film together.
Saying that though, I have gone with my other half many times and at funny parts where everyone is laughing, I’m sitting there like ‘huh?’ and I lean over and ask him and he always tells me what was funny – but again, I felt stupid for laughing 10 seconds after everyone else..

Then, one of my best friends (Eleanor), showed me a site about subtitled films and asked me along for one, and to be honest I’ve never gone to the cinema since without subtitles. I’ve been able to come out of the film understanding the plot – which to me was amazing. Who knew how much help, some words on a screen could be? So now, we just make a day trip to the cinema simply for the subtitles. What’s the point of going to a film and sitting there not understanding, wasting money on something that you gain nothing from?

I enjoy a massive range of films from Fantasy, Action, and Adventure to a hilarious Rom-Com. I have a massive thing at the moment on the Batman and Iron man side of the movies – Who doesn't like the idea of a hugely attractive man, who saves the world? I do!

So this blog is simply for your entertainment, all thoughts are our own and well we’ll be very blunt and say it how it is from a deaf and lady point of view. I can promise you some smiles along the way – as I’m sure we’ll have many laughs ourselves over our projects! Feel free to comment on anything and well, make yourself at home.
Ta-ra!

No comments:

Post a Comment