Thursday 24 January 2013

Driving with the RAC by Eleanor

So, just had pretty much everyones nightmare happen. My car breaking down whilst at least an hour drive from home.
 Left Norwich last night, usual time, heading towards home. About 5 minutes into it and my dashboard lights turned off (meaning I couldn't see my mph, temp, petrol gauge etc) and completely panicked thinking the front lights had turned off too. Luckily after testing I could see they were still on (this is about 9pm in darkness on a dual carriageway!). However people behind me kept flashing me indicating something was wrong and I suspected my rear lights had turned themselves off too. A woman pulled up besides me at traffic lights and she looked at my front lights and looked extremely confused, giving me more suspicion that my rear lights weren't on.
 I pulled over at the first opportunity, a layby in the middle of the A47 dual carriageway. My suspicions were right and I wondered if I could get away with driving home with no lights on (pretty stupid thought, and probably would have upset quite a few people after they'd gone into the back of my car  not being able to see it!!).

 After considering all options, I did what anyone would do and called my mum. Mum was a tad busy so the next port of call was my grandad who I knew I wasn't that far from (about 15 minute drive away). He said the only thing he could do was come and find me and call the RAC. It is the hardest thing in the world to explain to someone where you are, when you don't know yourself! We must have spent about 10 minutes trying to work out where I was (I knew, but trying to explain it sounded different to where I actually was!).  I am not a very confident person on the phones but I can just about call my mum, and I am getting used to talking to my grandad - he is slightly hard of hearing too  (I suspect but not diagnosed so don't go telling him I said that!!) so we talk quite loudly and clearly to each other!! It was an instant relief to know that my grandad was coming, just to have some company on a busy A47, parked up behind some big scary lorries (which I suspect weren't empty..) in a broken car.

 When my grandad came (about 15-20 minutes later) and after having had all the possible lights on (front lights and hazard lights) just so he could see me I felt so much more comfortable and supported. I wasn't worried about anything, nor annoyed, nor frustrated... I didn't feel anything other than comfort and happiness that someone would do this for me :).
 After explaining to him that I didn't feel comfortable calling the RAC (thinking they only had a number to call rather than text) he did it, and thank gawd he did. Listening to him trying to explain where I was, the road names, the places... I'd still be stuck there now if it was down to me! They said they would be a maximum of 2 hours - they have to tell you the longest possible time they will be but hopefully before then.

 40 minutes later and the RAC man arrived!! We explained to him that I was hard of hearing. He was a mumbler, just my luck, but I had an awesome grandad that stepped in :) Turned out to be a blown fuse and after about 30 minutes of fiddling and trying a new bulb, taping wire etc he was done!
 I think it was difficult for the RAC man to know how to deal with me - he tried to talk to me a few times but I didn't really respond (out of not knowing what he was saying) and he'd turn to grandad to repeat it. It was really difficult, in the dark not being able to lipread what he was talking about and being too tired to keep explaining that I couldnt hear. Maybe it was a bit of laziness on my part but you hope after being told once you make the effort to remember/demonstrate understanding.

 I googled the RAC just now and it turns out they do have a mobile number to text, this would be extremely interesting for the future to use if I were ever stranded somewhere with no grandad nearby to help out. I must admit I didn't know about the text number and I'd never considered breaking down and needing their help. I've gone about 3 years without breaking down (minus one or two setbacks but family were around to help in those cases). Hopefully *touch wood* it will be another 3 years at least before another one...

 I am so grateful and blessed to have such an amazing grandad and I'm so relieved to get home. I love you grandad xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment