Friday 4 January 2013

The beginning, by Eleanor


I’ve realised that I love going to the cinema when the films are subtitled. Too many times have I gone just to be a part of the social circle only to be sat full of regret, wasting 2/3 hours of my life not understanding a word that has been said. It has frustrated and annoyed, upset and depressed me. It can be quite a difficult process, being isolated from going to the cinema with friends because in all frankness it’s a waste of money and time to watch a film you will never understand until you have the good fortune to come across it on DVD or TV and the subtitled option is available.

 Even now I believe cinemas could do more for deaf users. My local cinema does not provide subtitles at all and I have to drive an hour and a quarter to my nearest subtitled cinema provider, re-arrange my life to be able to go at random times that is shown and find someone who can afford or wants to come (no I can’t go to the cinema on my own, it seems such as a waste when I have to drive so far anyway!). Even at the Odeon the trailers are not subtitled and yes I know they aren’t part of the film but if I really must have to sit through 5/6 constant trailers I’d quite like to know what they are about and maybe feel a part of the laughter from the row behind. It would also be nice to know generally what films to be watching out for and what might interest me to come again. Just because I cannot understand what they are saying, doesn’t mean I should miss out on the same information being given to everyone else?

It has been an absolute relief and joy to have a friend such as Immy to share my frustrations with. We feel the same about so many of the issues in life, not just at the cinema but in everyday life. I know that if I ever want to try a new experience with enticing deaf-awareness involved that Immy will be instantly by my side.

When eating Pizza Hut just a few days ago Immy felt that we should have somewhere that we could rant about these feelings and share with the outside world. You know Immy has a good idea when she starts with ‘I know it sounds gay but…’. And here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment